The Royal Canadian Regiment and
The First World War - 1914-1919
Gravenhurst (Lakeview) Cemetery
Lakeview Cemetery, located on Wagner Street in Gravenhurst.
For more information - CWGC
Royal Canadians buried at the Gravenhurst (Lakeview) Cemetery are listed below.
||Date of Death.
||CVWM/CWGC Link; Grave Ref.
|402596||Pte||George Hugo||PIKE||18-Jan-17|| CVWM|
Grave Ref: N/A
George Hugo Pike attested for overseas service at Walkerton, ON, on 19 Jan 1915. His service number, 402596, was assigned to the 34th Battalion. The 34th Battalion was disbanded in November 1916 and did not serve overseas as a unit. His history beyond this will require an examination of his service record to sort out:
- Pike is identified in the Canadian Virtual War Memorial as being a soldier of The Royal Canadian Regiment, although also annotated "36th Div".
- Pike is identified in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database as being a soldier of The Royal Canadian Regiment, although also annotated "36th Bn".
- Pike is identified in the Book of Remembrance as a soldier of the 11th Reserve Battalion.
- As can be seen in the following photos, Pike was buried as a soldier of the 36th Battalion. (The 36th Battalion did not serve in France as a unit and was disbanded in England, January 1917.)
- Pike is not found in the Part II Daily Orders of The RCR for the Battalion in France and Flanders. This only means that he may not have actually reached the unit in France, not that he was not a Royal Canadian.
Photos by LS Tom Beveridge.