The First World War
Officers of The Royal Canadian Regiment
Major William Gordon Peterson, D.S.O.
Soldiers of the First World War database entry - W.G. Peterson
- Prior service; 1910-12, Royal Highlanders of Canada
- Prior service; Oxford University Officer Training Corps
- 1912: Joined The RCR.
- Attested for overseas service with the CEF 4 Sep 1915.
- 1914-15: Served on garrison duty in Bermuda with The RCR.
- Assigned to Instructional Staff in Canada, 5 Jan 1915.
- Promoted Major, 12 Aug 1915
- Transferrd to the 73rd Canadian Infantry Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada).
- Sailed for France, 27 Mar 1916.
- Wounded, Jun 1917.
- Wounded, Oct 1917.
- SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1918 - Awarded the Distinguished Service Order; Maj. William Gordon Peterson, Quebec Regt.
- SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 9 OCTOBER, 1918 - Appointed Staff Captain; Temp. Maj. W. G. Peterson, D.S.O., Quebec R., vice temp. Maj. H. F. Hall, M.C., E. Ont. R. 15th Aug. 1918.
- SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 31 OCTOBER, 1918 - Relinquishes appointment of Staff Captain; Temp. Maj. R. M. Redmond, Quebec R., vice temp. Maj. W. G. Peterson, D.S.O., Quebec R. 19th Sept. 1918.
- Returned to Canada, 7 Feb 1919.
- Demobilized 22 Jun 1919.
First World War Mention in Despatches:
- Maj, N Scotia R; L.G. 30706, 28 May 1918
Silhouettes of Mars
In Oct 1918, the volume of sketches, Silhouettes of Mars written by Maj Peterson was published. This volume may be read on the internet archive site archive.org. His closing paragraphs read as follows:
We knew them well out there, but often could scarce bear to look upon their faces so brightly shone these young eyes, beneath the steel helmets, amidst the surrounding darkness of the world. Say not that their light is quenched, but rather that with the lifting of the cloud it has mingled with the brightness of the sun, brought back once more by them.
We shall never forget them, but shall hear their footsteps always, growing fainter perhaps down the corridors of time, but never lost, the myriad footsteps of the mightiest and the most gallant armies that have ever moved through history.
Date of Birth - 8 Nov 1886