The First World War
Officers of The Royal Canadian Regiment
Captain Arthur Nicholls, M.C.
Soldiers of the First World War database entry
Capt. A. Nicholls, M.C. (1918)
Capt. A. Nicholls, M.C., Valcartier Camp, 1920
Capt. A. Nicholls, M.C., 1928
- A. Nicholls
- Prior service; 6 years, Royal Field Artillery
- Service in the ranks of The R.C.R., 9 years, 3 months; enlisted 14 Jun 1913, regimental numbers 9777 and 477671
- Served in Bermuda with The R.C.R.
- Sergeant A. Nicholls is granted a commsssion in the Regiment for outstanding services in the Ypres salient and promoted Lieut. (The R.C.R.), 27 Aug 1916
- Appointed Officer Commanding 3rd Canadian Divisional Pack Company, 7 Apr 1917
- Acting Captain, 1 Dec 1917
- Awarded the Military Cross, Divisional Routine Order, 27 Dec 1917
- SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 FEBRUARY, 1918; Awarded the Military Cross - Lt. Arthur Nicholls, R. Can. R.
- Attached to 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade as Brigade Transport Officer, 11 Jul 1918
- SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 30 DECEMBER, 1918; Nova Scotia Regt. - The undermentioned temp. Lts. to be temp. Capts.:- (actg. Capt.) A. Nicholls, M.C., 4 Mar 1918.
- As of 31 Mar 1930; holding appointment with "D" Company.
- 1 Apr 1930; To be Captain (supernumerary).
- On 26 May 1932, Capt A Nicholls, MC, was the Officer Commanding No. 2 Guard for the presentation of Colours to the REgiment by His Excellency the Earl of Bessborough. The parade took place on the regimental recreation ground at Wolseley Barracks, Carling Heights, London, Ontario.
- 24 Jun 1933; Capain (supernumerary) A. Nicholls, M.C., is absorbed into the establishment.
- 6 Feb 1935; Retired to pension under the provisions of K.R. Can. 253 and placed on the Retired List.
SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 5 JULY, 1918.
Lt. Arthur Nicholls, R. Can. Regt. - For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in charge of pack mules. He worked nigftit and day, frequently under heavy fire, getting forward water and ammunition to the fighting troops. Owing to his skill and energy sufficient supplies were maintained.
Medals awarded to Captain Arthur Nicholls, M.C.,
as displayed in The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum.
Photo by Arthur Majoor.
Capt. & Brevet Major A. Nicholls, M.C. (1933)
Date of Birth - 21 Aug 1883