Transcription by Captain Michael O'Leary, The RCR.
Copy No. 2
Ref. Map ZILLEBEKE TRENCH MAP.
1. The GERMANS have made a strong point out of the LOOP and they have built an advanced trench in front of it with a very strong position at J.19.a.1.½ . They have a bombing post in their trench at J.19.c. ½.3½ .
2. The LOOP and advanced trench should be smashed by Artillery and a raid for the purpose of securing identifications should be made in bombing past at J.19.c.½.3½.
3. LIEUT BOLE will be in charge of the raiding party and will be accompanied by 16 O.R. The party will assemble in our sap opposite the enemy bombing post at J.19.c. ½.3½. They will be armed with revolvers, bombs, and knob kerries and Treefallite bombs, the latter for treatment of dugouts. Special wire cutters will also be carried.
4. LIEUT CHURCHILL will be in charge of the support party and will be accompanied by 10 O.R. This party to be stationed in advance Trench 58 and be available to assist the raiding party should necessity arise. The support party to be a complete bombing section.
5. The raiding party will place ammonal tubes in enemy wire and have arrangements complete so that the wire will be cut by 3. a.m. 18TH inst.
6. The wire having been cut the raiding party will enter enemy trench and secure identifications and do as much damage as is possible. LIEUT. BOLE and 2 O.R. will guard the gap in the wire while the raid is in progress.
Half the party will work to the NORTH and half to the SOUTH care being taken that the parties do not work more than 20 yards away from the opening in the wire.
7. LIEUT. BOLE will give the signal to retire which will be several blasts on the bugle.
On this signal being given the party will at once retrace their steps to the gap in the wire thence down our sap and back to our own trenches.
8. The faces of the raiding and support parties will be blackened. All identifications, badges, papers, etc., will be removed.
9. The Bn. Signal Officer will place a telephone station in advance trench 58 to be in direct communication with Bn. Hd. Qrs.
10. The M.O. will establish a dressing station at a suitable place in the vicinity of trench 57.
11. The STOKES guns will put down a barrage on either side of the raided area one minute after the signal for retire has been given. The barrage should consist of not less than 50 rounds per gun.
12. The LEWIS and COLT guns will be active during the night, their fire increasing in intensity between 2.45 a.m. and 3 a.m. this being done with a view to keeping enemys [sic] heads down and drowning any noise caused by the placing of the ammonal tubes.
During the raid the LEWIS and COLT gun s will continue their activity the greatest care being taken to avoid firing into the raided area until such time as the party has returned. Stops should be used.
Adjutant The Royal Canadian Regiment.
Issued by Runner at 10.30 p.m.
Copy. No. 1 - 7TH Cdn. Inf. Bde.
Copy. No. 2, 3, & 4 - War Diary.
Copy. No. 5 - "A" Co.
Copy. No. 6 - "B" Co.
Copy. No. 7 - "C" Co.
Copy. No. 8 - "D" Co.
Copy. No. 9 - Lewis Guns.
Copy. No. 10 - Bombers.
Copy. No. 11 - Signals.
Copy. No. 12 - Scouts.
Copy. No. 13 - Medical Officer.
COPY NO. 10
Refs Map ZILLEBEKE TRENCH MAP.
Six inch Howitzers will fore 250 rounds on the LOOP between 3. pm. And 7. pm. today.
At the same time Divisional Artillery will register on the LOOP and one battery, 41ST, and medium Trench Mortars will cut wire at J.19.c.½ .3½.
2. BOMBARDMENT OF LOOP.
Heavy Artillery will fire on the LOOP as follows:-
3. COVER FIRE FOR RAID.
O.C. 41ST. Batty. And Officer in charge of trench mortars will be in front trench, and will fire when required by the officer in charge of the raid. He will inform his battery when raiding party has returned, and battery and trench mortars will then fire on ODONNEL(?) COPSE and communication trenches.
Raiding party will explode ammonal tube and enter enemy trenches at J.19.c.½ .3½. at 3 am., ie, five minutes after the intense bombardment of the LOOP has lifted to the second line behind the LOOP.
It is thought that the enemy will have sent word back that we are barraging behind the LOOP and his attention will be fully taken up there.
Adjutant The Royal Canadian Regt.
Issued by Runner at 9.00 p.m.
Copy. No. 1 - 7TH Cdn. Inf. Bde.
Copy. No. 2 - "A" Co.
Copy. No. 3 - "B" Co.
Copy. No. 4 - "C" Co.
Copy. No. 5 - "D" Co.
Copy. No. 6 - Bombers.
Copy. No. 7 - Lewis Guns.
Copy. No. 8 - Scouts.
Copy. No. 9 - Signals.
Copy. No. 10-11-12 - War Diary.