The First World War
Officers of The Royal Canadian Regiment
Hon. Captain John Alban Donovan, M.C., D.C.M.
Soldiers of the First World War database entry - J.A. Donovan
- Prior service; 10 years, 3rd Battalion Victoria Rifles of Canada
- Prior service; 9 years, in the ranks of The R.C.R.
- Attested for overseas service on 5 Apr 1917 with the 24th Battalion, regimental number 65277
- SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 1 JANUARY, 1917; Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal - 65277 Q.M.S. J. Donovan, Can. Inf.
- London Gazette 21 Nov 1917 - Quebec Regt: No. 65277 Qr.-Mr.-Serjt. J. A. Donovan to be temp. Qr.-Mr. with the hon. rank of Lt 23 Oct. 1917.
- Post-War service with The RCR, from 1920
- Resigned 1920
SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 2 DECEMBER, 1918; 29 November 1918, Issue number: 31043, Page number: 14273
Qrmr. and Hon. Lt. John Alban Donovan, D.C.M., 24th Can. Bn., Quebec R. - For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Throughout two days' operations, he succeeded in bringing up ammunition and supplies in spite of heavy shelling. When the transport lines were bombed by night he saved many casualties by his coolness and judgment. Thanks to his energy the battalion was kept well supplied.
Date of Birth - 29 Sep 1886