The RCR Regimental Memorial - State of the Stone

Photos by Capt M. O'Leary, May 2009

The Regimental memorial of The RCR was unveiled by His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel in Chief of The Royal Canadian Regiment, on 2 July 1959.

The original site for the Memorial was further south, in a section of CFB London that has since been severed and it ossupied by a housing development. The current location is north of Wolseley Hall, bordering on Oxford Road.

The stone shows the wear of London's weather for the past 50 years. It is also possible that the structure of the base and monumet have been affected by the constant vibrations of passing traffic.

(Images at right can be clicked for larger views.)

Moving the Memorial

In 2010 a plan was confirmed to move the Regimental Memorial further away from Oxford Road. The plan is to locate the Memorial onto the parade square of Wolseley Hall, centred on the north side behind the Museum's 9-pounder guns.

Follow The Regimental Rogue on facebook.

QUICK LINKS